Are Computer Tablets Good For Elderly Senior Citizens
Alexa is now available on Fire Tablets. When connected to Wi-Fi, press the HOME button for about 1 second and ask Alexa to open a Kindle book title on your tablet and she will open it and read it to you beginning where you left off. You can turn almost any Kindle book into an audio book. Ask her to open your weather app, your calendar or even play music.
There are plenty of frustrations that go along with aging and finding ways to cope with them can be challenging for senior citizen and those trying to help an aging parent or grandparent. Reading, a favorite past time of many a mature adult can be come frustrating and even impossible with the onset of vision problems.
Kindle Fire Tablet or Android Tablet
A Kindle Fire or similar tablet with an Android operating system is a relatively inexpensive investment and while an Internet connection is needed to download books, music and other web based products, once the tablet is loaded, you can enjoy your reading and listening without the Internet connection.
In addition to the Kindle Fire, there are dozens of Android tablets suitable for seniors. I love my Coby Kyros 8-Inch Android 2.3 4 GB Internet Tablet with Capacitive Touchscreen – MID8127-4G (Black)– it’s an 8 inch tablet, easy to set up for Kindle eBooks, Internet browsing, eMail, games and so much more! You don’t have to use a Kindle to read eBooks from the Kindle store. Once you set up your account on Amazon, you use your tablet the same as if it were a Kindle. Buy books on Amazon and they show up on your tablet in seconds. It really is that easy.
Go to Amazon using the links above, read the reviews and then add the item to your shopping cart (there’s no charge for that). Once you save the items to your shopping cart, compare prices on other sites. If Amazon has the best price, it’s already in your shopping cart when you return!
Check these locations to compare price and availability:
I was rushing to visit my 87 year old mother one Sunday and I wanted to take some recent pictures of her great grandchildren but I didn’t have time to print them out so I grabbed my tablet where I had pictures and videos stored and off I went to see my mother, thinking I would be able to tap and swipe as she enjoyed the pictures.
Well, I’m not sure where she learned it from, but I found out that my mother is an experienced swiper!
When I told my mother I had some new pictures on the tablet she took it right out of my hand and said, “Where are they?” I opened up the gallery section for her and she quickly took control of the tablet and just started swiping! When I asked her how she knew what to do to see the next picture she told me, “It just seemed like the thing to do!”
Tablets Easy For Aging Family or Friends
Afterward, I realized just how many ways the tablet can make reading and entertainment easier for the elderly, myself included. Here are a few reasons it’s worth purchasing a simple tablet for a senior citizen and spending a little bit of time showing them how to use it to their advantage:
- Tablets are simple to use. See the icon, tap the icon and enjoy!
- Aging hands can be very painful if arthritis is a problem. Tablets, due to the simple touch and swipe features, eliminate the pain associated with a mouse or holding and reading a book.
- Aging eyes might require a different strength of reading glasses for every room in the house. (Really!) The print on a tablet is easily adjusted to each reader’s vision needs for general web browsing and especially for reading eBooks, eMail and other printed materials.
- Tablets generally have a headphone jack so even the hard of hearing can connect with headphones so they won’t miss any of the laughter and sweet voices of their loved ones on the videos you will install for them.
- In a pinch, on those snowy days when loved ones can’t visit, give them a call and do a face to face chat. It can make a big difference to those who are housebound.
So, what can a senior citizen enjoy about their own tablet?
- Easy reading with big print
- Easy use with tap and swipe
- Easy to carry room to room or the front porch, park bench, waiting rooms
- Newspaper delivery without the newspaper
- Frequent pictures and videos of family
- Live web cam to avoid long term isolation
- Internet Browsing
Tablets and Children
Kindle Fire and other tablet type computers are easy to use and very simple to keep updated by family or friends. I keep a tablet around and give it to my grandchildren when it’s quiet time. It’s a good replacement for television and I have complete control over what applications they can see and use. My grandson loves trains and cars and enjoys the apps I have installed for him to play when he visits. He does not know he’s learning to count and sort shapes and colors, but he is! My granddaughter has her own set of apps suited to her age bracket and she has learned while playing with each one of them. After quiet time is over, the tablet goes away until next time. It’s a teacher, an entertainer and a lot of fun!
Tablets Make Great Gifts – And So Do the apps!
Buy a tablet for a family member or friend and spend some quality time teaching them how to enjoy all the possibilities. It will be time well spent and you’ll make someone very happy!
Another gift idea? Find out your senior’s favorite newspaper or magazine and sign them up for a subscription on their tablet!
PS – My mother does not realize the tablet is a computer, otherwise she never would have touched it!