While the major ingredient in stuffing or filling is bread, it is still possible to make Gluten Free Stuffing with no more work or effort than making ordinary stuffing. The most important ingredient, bread, is easily replaced with Gluten Free Bread found in your grocery store.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Stuffing
- 1 Loaf Gluten Free Bread
- 3/4 Cup Minced Onion
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Celery
- 1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine
- 1 Teaspoon Dill
- 1 Teaspoon Whole Celery Seed
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1 Cup Broth
Directions for Gluten Free Stuffing
- Cut the Gluten Free Bread into cubes to make about 7 cups of bread cubes. Spread them in a single layer on a baking tin and put them in a warm oven at 300 degrees for about an hour until they are crispy.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a pan and add the onion and celery. Cook until both are tender about 15 minutes.
- Place crispy bread cubes in a large bowl and gradually stir in the onion and celery mixture.
- Add additional spices and continue to mix until all bread crumbs are evenly coated.
- Turn into an oven safe baking pan and add broth, mixing thoroughly.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
Additional Tips for Gluten Free Stuffing
After baking for 30 minutes, check the consistency of your stuffing and then add additional broth as desired before the final 15 minutes of baking.
Variations on Gluten Free Stuffing
Apple Raisin Stuffing – add 1/2 cup of finely chopped apples and 1/4 of raisins and cook with the onion and celery mixture.
Sausage Stuffing – add 1/2 cup of gluten free sausage, crumbled and cook with the onion and celery mixture.
Walnut Stuffing – add 1/4 cup of crushed walnuts and cook with the onion and celery mixture.